A night vision camcorder is a great investment for people who want to shoot videos in low light or the dark. For people who often go camping or hiking and want to record videos when they spend the night outdoors. These gadgets are also a must-have for avid hunters who like to hunt at night as well as those who love to go on nighttime fishing trips. Even spelunkers will want to have their own night vision video camera so they can document their adventures as they explore dark and musty caves.
The question now is this:
Which camcorder with night vision should you buy if recording videos at night is an important factor of selection for you?
There are a lot of options to choose from nowadays. But to make things easier for you, we’ve rounded up five of the best camcorders with night vision. Browse through this list to know which video camera is the right option for your needs and lifestyle.
The Ancter Full Spectrum Camcorder is our top recommendation in the night vision camcorder category and scores high on rating.
Ancter Full Spectrum Infrared Camcorder
Currently features as the #1 in our list. The Ancter Full Spectrum Infrared Camcorder is a new entrant, just released in 2017. It has been vigorously tested before being released in the market. It has some custom features that have quickly made it one of the top night vision camcorder in the US. Let us have a look at some of the premium features it offers.
Features of the Ancter Full Spectrum Infrared Camcorder
Enhanced Power Battery
With night vision camcorders, you need to have a reliable battery life. Because if you’re shooting in the dark; say for example to shoot your hunting action or while shooting a ghost film; you need to long last and have a battery that won’t conk off without warning.
The Ancter Infrared Camcorder’s battery can last upto 200 minutes without needing to charge.
New Camcorder System
A new technology from Ancter that has been tested extensively – It can be used in IR mode without using an IR LED that is built in the camera. It uses an external infrared light source. The benefit – Reduction in battery usage and a much better performance.
Superior Tech Specifications
Touted as the world‘s only colorful Infrared and Full Spectrum camcorder, it record full HD videos on 3″ TFT LCD screen. It has the capability to record with 270 degree rotation. The lighting system is pretty interesting here. It has built-in Dual LED fill lights and ultra bright infrared light. It does not use an on-board IR LED. There is an exterior infrared light that saves battery and offers a unique experience.
Pros and Cons of the Ancter Full Spectrum Infrared Camcorder
- It does not use an on-board IR. Instead it uses an external source like a flashlight. This saves a lot of battery life.
- Video quality in normal and IR mode is of high quality and lives up to the expectations of a full HD camcorder.
- It does not have image stabilisation.
- It does not have a provision for connected an external mic which you might need sometimes to record voice if you’re whispering while recording a paranormal video.
The Bestguarder WG50 is a monocular camcorder having a digital night vision mode. This mode is supported by a 50mm objective lens along with 6x optical zoom and up to 5x digital zoom. The camcorder also comes with a high-quality built-in infrared illuminator that allows for a viewing distance of up to 1,150 feet (or 350 meters).
The WG50 is one of the best night vision video camera because of its rugged design. It complies with IPX4 standards, which means it’s water-resistant and can withstand a bit of rough weather. Since it is used more for hunting, you need it to withstand tough weather conditions. Bestguarder WG50 does an excellent job at that.
Since it can be mounted on a tripod, you can leave it on and record activities of the subject you want to record. If you’re using it for hunting, this can help in identifying the patterns of the creature and its presence in a particular area.
It’s an excellent companion when you spend most of your time outdoors and need tough and durable equipment that can keep up with your rigorous lifestyle.
- Very sturdy and rugged
- High range visibility extending upto 3o0m
- Night vision is of superior quality
- It does not have a power focus. Focus has to be achieved by rotating manually.
- The picture quality is not as great as some of the other night vision cameras
- Battery does not last long. You need to carry a backup.
What makes the Hausbell 5052 one of the top night vision camcorders?
Well, for one thing, its night vision mode is supported by a 5MP CMOS sensor, 16x zoom capability, and Full HD video recording resolution. All of these work together to help you shoot clear, detailed videos even in the middle of the night.
The camcorder also comes with Wi-Fi functionality, which means you can control it remotely using your smartphone or tablet. This makes it easy to share pictures from the camcorder to your mobile device.
Another great thing about the Hausbell 5052 is its design. Its compact body allows it to easily fit in your bag or purse, so you can bring it almost anywhere. It’s also lightweight, which means your hand and arm won’t tire quickly even when you have to shoot several minutes’ worth of videos.
The Hausbell 5052 is available in an attractive gold color, which gives a classic and elegant look and makes it stand out from other makes and models.
Pros and Cons of the Hausbell 5052 Night Vision Camcorder
- Operation is easy and it’s a great choice for beginners who are just starting out taking videos well as the more experienced.
- Lightweight and very portable.
- You get high quality video and audio quality at a very competitive rate.
- Limited telescopic and wide angle capabilities
- Just comes with the basic IR features and functions.
Panasonic HC VX981K
Panasonic has performed well in the camera world, so it’s no surprise that the VX981K is on our list of the top infrared camcorders.
Its HC-VX981K has excellent low-light performance, with a 2-lux low light scene mode, a 1-lux night mode with color, and a 0-lux full night mode — all paired with a decent built-in infrared light.
The HC-VX981K can take decent videos and photos in dark environments, particularly if you use its highly sensitive 1-lux night mode. However, you can take clearer images and videos if you’d invest in an additional IR light source. This is entirely optional, though. Buying an extra IR light source is helpful if shooting at night is a regular part of your job. But, if you’re a hobbyist who takes night videos every now and then, the camcorder’s built-in IR light is more than enough.
Of course, the Panasonic HC-VX981K isn’t just a night vision-enabled camcorder. Its 1/2.3-inch 8.29MP BSI MOS sensor and Crystal Engine 4K image processor allows it to take clear and sharp videos and photos.
It also has a Leica Dicomar lens with an optical zoom up to 20x, which can be boosted to 40x through intelligent zoom. Now the aerage zoom that usually comes in camcorders lower than this. Even with such a powerful zoom, the quality of the video remains stellar.
The camcorder can take both 1080p videos and 4K UHD videos, and you can extract 4K still images from the latter using the in-camera 4K Photo Mode and editing tools.
Pros and Cons of Panasonic HC-VX981K
- Lots and lots of extra features to customise the way you take videos
- Very sturdy and well-built for taking videos in any circumstance
- The video format can be edited in any video editing software available online
- As you turn on each of the various video taking customisation, more battery is used. This can exhaust the battery pretty quick.
- While shooting in low-light, it can give rise to the white balance issue – the color washing out. This can be remedied by setting the front wheel white balance to cloudy or sunny. This will properly restore color back into proper warmer tones instead of the washed out color you experience because of the camera assuming every bright light in the dark as white light.
- There have been reports of a slight fish eye effect in the video recordings.
These are five of the top camcorders with night vision mode that can take high-quality videos and give you excellent value for money. There are many other makes and models in the market, so do your research to learn more about them. This way, you’ll be familiar with night vision camcorders and find out which make and model best fits your needs.