It is quite obvious that the best videos are not those recorded with an iPhone, but those that are recorded with an actual camcorder. Of course, the better the quality of the camcorder, the better quality the videos are going to be.
Unfortunately, many professional 4K camcorders are going to run well over $1,000, which can be out of the budget of the average person who wants to capture their own videos. Well, we are here today to let you know that there are some pretty great prosumer 4K camcorders out there that shoot in 4K HD video and they cost less than $1,000. Let’s take a look at some of the best 4k video cameras under $1000.
One of the main reasons for the Sony FDR/AX53 to be considered as one of the best 4k camcorders is that you can capture the finest, tiniest details in perfect clarity, shooting in 4K full HD resolution. This camcorder has a newly-developed image sensor that has larger pixels (1.6 times larger) than most other sensors. This lets you capture perfect images with high resolution every time, even in low light conditions.
Another thing we love that along with 4K, this camcorder records equally well in 1080p. The footage is clear and crisp, and the video quality is excellent. The XAVC S video format makes the images even more bright and vibrant, making them very realistic.
An image processor is responsible for capturing and recording images and videos. Sony FDR-AX53 consists of a very fast image processor which makes the videos really sharp, almost real-like. In fact, this image processor is also used in some professional camcorders, which means you are getting a professional-quality video at the price of a prosumer camcorder.
The Sony FDR AX53 comes with the Balanced Optical SteadyShot technology, which offers you greater stability and less camera shake while recording in motion. Whether you record while walking or zoom in a shot, the image stability is among the best in class.
The ZEISS 26.8 mm lens gives you 20X optical zoom when shooting in 4K, and a 30X Clear Image Zoom, which ensures you get clear, almost original zoom footage, irrespective of the angle in which you are shooting. While zooming in, any unwanted reflection that may arise is kept away.
Pros and Cons of Sony FDR-AX53
- It is highly recommended for hand-held recording, because of its Balanced Optical Steadyshot technology.
- Intelligent autofocus means you never have to worry about losing focus, or having to readjust the focus yourself.
- The default mic that comes with “5-directional technology” is able to reproduce a much clearer sound as compared to a normal mic.
- Its low-light recording feature is a big plus, thanks to its newly-developed sensor.
- Manual control settings are not as easy to use as we would like them to be.
- While the focus works well while you’re moving and zooming when still, there are chances it may not work that efficiently while panning and zooming at the same time.
Canon is undoubtedly one of the pioneers in digital photo and video products. The Canon Vixia G50 camcorder is a prosumer camcorder that is capable of shooting in 4K UHD as well as full HD and is reasonably priced. Thanks to its compact size and a large number of premium features like advanced stabilization, it can be your go-to choice for shooting 4K videos indoors or outdoors.
The biggest USP of the Canon Vixia G50 video camera is its large-format, highly sensitive CMOS sensor and the DIGIC DV6 image processor which works in tandem to provide a very realistic 4K shooting experience. The image processor takes into consideration a large number of image parameters that make up the perfect image and subsequently provides a high video quality, whether outdoors in bright-light or indoors in low-light.
Canon Vixia G50 comes with a 20x optical zoom lens that is capable of providing a clear and sharp image quality even when zoomed. So if your object of interest is at some distance from you, the zoom feature along with the wide angle view of the lens together ensures that you get a real life-like video quality in true color.
Other noteworthy features include an 8-bladed circular aperture, a 3-inch LCD touchscreen and an ability to shoot at 60fps full HD.
Pros and Cons of Canon Vixia G50
- It comes with a tiltable electronic viewfinder which gives you greater freedom while shooting videos.
- It has dual SD card slots for greater storage capacity.
- Unlike some other 4K camcorders, its manual controls are much more convenient to operate.
- The absence of WiFi capability was a bit surprising.
- You need to switch on the intelligent stabilization each time you turn on the camcorder
Here is another 4K camcorder that lets you capture amazing still photos as well as Ultra HD video. You can use those photos to insert into your videos, or just to have memories of all of your special moments to put into an album, frame, etc. The Panasonic HC-WXF991K is a 4K, ultra HD camcorder that has built-in Wi-Fi, and it even has a multi-scene twin camera function, so you can get picture-in-picture videos.
Features of HC-WXF991K
This camcorder is loaded with features that make it ideal for beginning video enthusiasts. One of the coolest features is the in-camera editing, which lets you use such cool effects as stabilization, dolly zoom, regular zoom, 4K post cropping, and many more. This is going to eliminate the need to go out and by expensive editing software. Another very useful feature which many people overlook is its ability to shoot videos in IR night vision mode. So if you’re looking for a good quality camcorder which can shoot videos in the dark, this can be a good choice. Other features include:
- Flip-Out Display – Sometimes you need to move the camera in a variety of directions, but then you can’t see the display. That is not a problem with this camera, thanks to the flip-out display that lets you view from multiple angles.
- Microphone – One problem with many built-in microphones is that they pick up too much external noise. The built-in microphone in this camera has a special wind reduction feature that gives you a much better sound quality for your videos. Easily one of the best features.
- Touch Screen – You can make all of your adjustments right on the convenient touch screen, without ever having to twist a focus ring or fiddle with other buttons. This makes re-focusing fast and easy, so you never miss a shot.
- Exposure – Enjoy a dynamic exposure range that allows you to work in just about any lighting condition, including low light. The camera has an auto-exposure feature that automatically senses when the lighting conditions change and makes the appropriate adjustments for you.
Pros and Cons of HC-WXF991K
- Great for Beginners – Even though this camera is loaded with features, it is easy to use, making it the ideal choice for beginners. It is lightweight, so you can even shoot handheld videos easily without a lot of camera shake.
- Price – This is not an expensive camera when you compare it to other similar camcorders. It offers more features than many other cameras that are on the market in the same price range and is similar in quality to many professional cameras.
- Noise – One of the biggest drawbacks of using this camcorder is that when you are shooting in 4K, you may notice that there is a lot of noise in the picture. This can be edited out, but that is just adding more time to the process.
If you want to capture ultra-sharp footage in full 4K, Ultra HD resolution, the Panasonic HC-VX981K is one of the best video cameras for 4K video for you to consider. It is loaded with features that make capturing great videos easy, even for beginners. You can even use it to do a lot of in-camera editing, so it isn’t always necessary for you to download your videos to edit them, and you won’t need a lot of expensive editing software. Some of the things you can do in-camera include post cropping, panning, zooming, and subject tracking stabilization.
Features of Panasonic HC-VX981K
One of the coolest features this camcorder has to offer is the multi-camera scene picture-in-picture recording technology. To use this, all you have to do is add a Wi-Fi link to a mobile device camera, and you can use it with the Panasonic HC-WX981K to get this feature in your videos. While this isn’t something that you are likely to use all the time, it really is a handy little feature to have. Other features include:
- HDR Mode – The HDR mode is an innovative feature that makes it easy to capture great quality videos, even in low light conditions. It helps to pick up highlights and shadows that many other camcorders cannot, so you always get a clear, crisp picture.
- Lens – This camcorder has a Leica Dicomar lens that gives you a 20X optical zoom range. At the wide end, it is the equivalent to the 35mm focal length of 30.8mm. The 20X zoom can be combined with the intelligence zoom to make it 25X when shooting in 4K, and 40X when shooting in full HD.
- Multi-Camera Functionality – While this camcorder isn’t a twin camera in itself, it does have that capability when you connect a Wi-Fi connected mobile device. You can enjoy the picture-in-picture recording that will give a whole new depth to your videos.
- Remote Control – When you are using the Wi-Fi functionality, you can use remote control so you can control the camera even when you are not standing right next to it. You can even use it from a distance, so if you notice something awesome happening, you won’t miss it because the camera isn’t right in your hands.
Pros and Cons of Panasonic HC-VX981K
- In-Camera Editing – Enjoy using a variety of editing tools that let you do most of the editing as you go, without the need for extra software. The only downside is that you can’t save your edited videos in 4K. You can only do it at 1080p resolution.
- Still Photos – We love that we can take regular photos with this camcorder. It’s not quite the same as a regular camera, but you can easily extract any still images you like from your video frames, and they are as high quality as any regular photos.
HDMI – When the camera is in Wi-Fi mode, there is no HDMI output, so you can’t control remotely when broadcasting in HDMI.
If action and adventure is your specialty, and you are someone who is always on the move, a GoPro is a good option for you, particularly the HERO8. This camera shoots in 4K, and you can also capture 12MP still photos in single, burst, and time-lapse modes. This is a durable and waterproof camera that you can take pretty much anywhere, and it is loaded with features that make creating great videos fun and easy.
Features of GoPro HERO8 Black
You can take this camera out in the rain without worrying about damaging it, and you don’t even need to use an external housing. This camera is waterproof to 33 feet without a housing, so you can use it for many of your favorite water sports. The battery will give you up to 90 minutes of continuous 4K video recording. Other features include:
- In-Camera Editing – You can do a lot of editing right on the camera, without having to download anything to your computer. Preview and play shots back, change the settings, and even trim footage, quickly and easily.
- Voice Control – One of the coolest features is the voice control. Enjoy hands-free operation simply by using a few voice commands. This camera is likely going to be one of the easiest that you have ever used.
- One-Button Control – All you have to do is press the shutter button to turn the camera and automatically begin recording everything around you. There are no additional buttons and settings to fiddle around with.
- Uploading – If you get a GoPro Plus subscription, you can automatically upload all of your videos and photos right to the cloud, where it is easy to view, edit, and share, even while you are on the move.
Pros and Cons of GoPro HERO8 Black
- Advanced Features – This camcorder is loaded with advanced features that are easy to use, and help you to create stunning videos. These features include 4K video and 12MP photos, RAW + WDR photos, exposure control, stereo sound, GPS location tagging, and more.
- Price – While this camcorder may not have as many features as others we have talked about today, it is great for creating awesome videos, and it is easy to use. The best part is, you can get it for a much lesser price as compared to the other camcorders in the list.
- Mods cost extra – The different Mods which make recording videos a more enjoyable experience like the Media Mod and the Display Mod are not included in the package and have to be purchased separately.
If you want to get into making your own YouTube videos, or you simply want to have fun making videos to share with family and friends, you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to get started. Any of the cameras we have discussed today will suit your needs perfectly, whether you are going to be shooting stationary videos and photos or want to get right in the middle of the action.