Buying an action camera is very different from buying a camcorder for general movie making. Action cameras need to record high-speed motion in extreme conditions, which might not be the case when recording other general videos. For recording extreme sports and other high-speed motion videos, it is better to equip yourself with the best action cameras.
Now let’s imagine this scenario:
You are an extreme sports enthusiast. You have just bought that latest dirt bike you’ve always wanted to ride and you can’t wait to give it a spin. Or you are finally going to go scuba diving off the coast of that exotic island in Europe. Or let’s say you simply want to vlog about your travel adventures
Wouldn’t you want an action camera that is convenient to use and records the best quality videos and images?
Well in this post that’s what I will try to address – Helping you choose the best action camera for your adventure.
My list of the best action cameras for the money
|Product||Features That Stand Out||Pros & Cons||Cost Range|
Check Current Price
|1. Hypersmooth 2.0 technology offering an incredibly smooth video experience|
2. Ergonomic design with foldable fingers at the bottom for the mounts
3. Digital lens offering 4 modes of view
1. Audio quality is the best among other GoPros
2. Live streaming can now be done in Full HD
1. Low light performance could be better
2. Battery drains faster when recording in 4K 60 fps. Advisable to use an external power source for heavy usage
|Sony FDR X3000|
Check Current Price
|1. Comes with optical image stabilization for better stability|
2. ZEISS Lens ensures a top notch 4K quality
3. Can record high quality audio with the inbuilt mic
1. Made to last long and withstand rough conditions
2. 4K display works well
1. Lacks a backlit in the display screen
2. Similarly priced to the GoPro but doesn't include a remote control nor voice control
|Sony HDR-AZ1VR Action Cam|
Check Current Price
|1. Uses near field communication which enables remote viewing through smartphone|
2. Uses the live view remote RM-LVR2 which can control some operations of the cam
3. Ultra-wide ZEISS lens with a view up to 170 degrees
1. 30% smaller than other Sony action cams makes it highly portable
2. Can shoot high quality videos even in low light
1. Underwater focus is not as sharp as I would have liked
2. Been a few years since it came in the market
|Akaso V50 Elite|
Check Current Price
|1. Can record 4K in 60fps|
2. It is waterproof upto 100 feet
3. It comes with a wrist remote control for easier operation
1. Very reasonably priced for 4K 60 fps display
2. Comes with a tonne of accessories
1. At higher resolutions, battery can get warm
2. the wrist remote control is not waterproof
|Yi 4K Action Camera|
Check Current Price
|1. Best in class Wifi|
2. 6 layered ultra-wide angle lens which reduced the glare in bright light
3. 2 inch LCD display screen with Corning Gorilla glass
1. Very reasonably priced
2. After sales support and service matches standards of the big brands
1. Does not come with a waterproof housing
2. Audio quality could have been better
GoPro HERO8 Black
Launched in October 2019, GoPro HERO8 is the latest version of the GoPro action camera series to hit the market after the highly successful GoPro HERO7. Packed with a load of features, this newest GoPro version is expected to exceed expectations this time. If you are ready to spend a few extra bucks, then the GoPro Hero8 Black is quite easily one of the best action cameras and our #1 choice in the market today.
Distinctive Features of GoPro Hero8
The GoPro HERO8 comes with a tagline which is quite self-explanatory – ‘Smooth just got smoother’. Building up on the superior stabilization that HERO7 offered which resulted in smooth videos, the GoPro HERO8 comes with a feature called Hypersmooth 2.0. Of the three modes in Hypersmooth 2.0, the boost mode offers maximum stability and smoothness. It’s almost unbelievable when you watch the videos taken in ‘boost’ mode.
While the previous model had Timewarp too, the HERO8 has an upgraded version of the Timewarp. So when you take time-lapse videos, the settings of the timewarp get adjusted depending on the speed of your motion, the lighting available and the scene of the shot. That’s pretty useful because it enables you to take a more enhanced time-lapse video.
If you’re a vlogger or a professional filmmaker, you will have a need for enhanced audio, better lighting, a tripod, and probably frontal display. The HERO8 can be fixed with accessories known as Mods which can provide these additional functionalities. The three Mods that are currently available are the Media Mod (for better audio; an external mic can also be attached), a Display Mod (Frontal display) and a Light Mod (Enhanced lighting). These Mods have to be purchased separately and can be attached to dedicated slots in the HERO8.
It is ergonomically designed for better handling and portability. It has pre-built, foldable extensions at the base that enable you to interchange mounts very easily. Also, the lens is now 2 times more resistant to impacts.
The in-built audio quality is much better than the other GoPro models.
It comes with digital lenses that give you 4 different modes of view – Narrow, Distortion-free linear, wide and super-view. You can choose any view depending on your requirements.
Live streaming quality has been improved to 1080p from the 720p in the HERO7.
Low light performance could be better. Not everyone may want to buy the Light Mod.
In Hypersmooth mode, only the new HERO8 batteries can be used. If you have old GoPro HERO6 or 7 batteries, they can work only in the normal mode in HERO8.
Sony FDRX3000/W Underwater Camcorder 4K
I believe a lot in the power of the brand. Most of the time, you can expect a quality product from any of the major action camera brands. The Sony FDR – X3000 is an example of it. It comes loaded with a ton of features for an optimum shooting experience.
Features of Sony FDR-X3000
It has the capability of shooting 4K videos. Although many other action cameras in the market come with 4K shooting ability, the challenge comes in image stabilization. This is where the Sony FDR X3000 stands apart.
It has optical SteadyShot technology. This helps to provide better external and internal image stability than digital stabilization. This is one factor that definitely makes the FDR X3000 stand out.
Like the GoPro Hero5, this also has a 4K video quality thanks to the ZEISS lens that it is fitted with. If you aren’t aware ZEISS is one of the leading lens makers in the world. Any product from them is a guaranteed high-quality innovation.
Finally, another important feature of this camera that sets it apart from many other low-priced extreme sports cameras is the high-quality audio that it records. A lot of noise is reduced in the recording stage itself and you get a much clearer output sound.
Who should buy?
Without a doubt, Sony enthusiasts have been the maximum buyers of this product. Besides those looking for the best configurations that an action camera can possess and are willing to shell out a few extra bucks, they should go it.
It is sturdy and will definitely serve you well in the years to come. These types of cameras are the ones that are almost guaranteed to work well for a really long time.
- Many users have said that a backlit in the display screen would have been a great added advantage. I agree with this. Even when you are using the action camera in daytime, the exposure to sunlight would make it difficult to read the display screen. In such a scenario, a backlit can definitely help.
- Sony should have included a remote control especially since unlike the GoPro Hero7, it doesn’t have voice commands though it retails at a comparable price.
Where to buy?
You can buy the Sony FDR X3000 at various offline and online stores. However, since you get some good discounts and deals and can also read other customer reviews and questions, you can check it out on Amazon.
No wonder it makes my list of the top action cameras. With tonnes of features packed into it, as also some really helpful improved functions make it a serious competitor with the GoPro.
Sony HDR-AZ1VR Waterproof Action Cam
Japanese electronics giant Sony has come up with a splash-proof action camera that has delivered great promise. The smallest splash-proof sports camcorder by Sony, you can be assured of a very smooth video even on rough passage with SteadyShot image stabilization.
Features of Sony HDR-AZ1VR
This sports video camera by Sony boasts of some powerful features.
Smaller and lighter It’s a mini action cam and is quite light to carry. Its slender, custom design is about two-thirds the size of other sports action cams by Sony. Consequently, you have less wind and water pressure acting on it.
Splashproof Its spashproof design makes it possible to withstand showers, sprays or even snow when out of the box.
Remote Viewing With the help of One Touch Near Field Communication (NFC), your compatible smart devices can be turned in to remote viewing devices via wifi.
Live View Remote RM-LVR2 With the help of the Live View Remote RM-LVR2, it is now possible to frame your shot, turn GPS on, change the shooting modes and control up to 5 Action Cams.
Steadyshot for fast action sports The steadyshot technology reduces the chances of blur appearing because of bumps and sudden movements in fast action sports like skiing and motocross.
Built-in stereo mic As is the trend these days, the Sony HDRAZ1VR/W sports camera comes equipped with a builtin stereo microphone which is good enough to capture quality sound.
Ultra-wide ZEISS lens The camcorder comes equipped with a pro quality ZEISS lens with a wide angle scope extending upto 170 degrees. This increases your perspective while taking panoramic views of ski slopes or mountain hills.
Equipped with Exmor R CMOS sensor This technology makes it possible to shoot high quality videos even in low light.
5 video modes available 1080/60p @50Mbps HD and 2x slow motion
- The Sony HDRAZ1VR/W is 30% smaller than other versions of Sony action cameras and is hence easy to carry.
- With a resolution of 12 megapixels and an option to shoot 1080/60p, it is certainly a great buy.
- Some users cited concerns about the camera not giving a very sharp focus being underwater for a longer duration.
- Others commented that it is a better idea to shoot with 1080p than with 720p. But overall users were quite satisfied with the product.
AKASO V50 Elite 4K WIFI Sports Action Camera
The first thing that caught my eye with the AKASO V50 Elite 4K Wifi Action Camera was the ability to shoot 4K videos at 60fps. Most of the 4K camcorders, action or regular, record at a resolution of 30 fps. The V50 Elite’s ability to shoot 4K videos at 60fps and full HD at 120 fps along with 20MP image, ensures very high-quality footage.
There are a lot more enhanced features that make your recording experience a memorable one.
Features of Akaso V50 Elite
A very useful feature that has been added in this model is the voice command feature. When you’re bungee jumping, or riding your bike and want to switch your action camera on or off, the voice command feature comes very handy. You can operate the camera pretty much “hands-free”.
An important requirement of an action camera is that it must have high stability as most likely, you will be recording your adventure videos in motion. The EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) of the AKASO V50 Elite is an intelligent stabilization technology that reduces the image shake to a minimum.
It also offers you the option of choosing the angle of view for shooting the video. You can choose between wide, medium and narrow depending upon the situation.
It is a great action camera for water sports like scuba diving and snorkeling as it is waterproof up to 131 feet, having an ability to record clear videos and images even underwater.
Some other features that make it one of the highest-rated action cameras for the money include: An auto low light feature that enables it to take images in low light as well, a slow-motion feature and a wrist remote control for enhanced control.
- Hands down, the price. very rarely you get such a feature-packed sports action camera at such a price.
- It comes with a tonne of free accessories. You can use them to make your action camera perform better in any scenario.
- Longer battery life. The Akaso V50 Elite comes with two rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record for as long as 90 minutes. That’s quite a powerhouse performance.
- At higher resolutions, the battery can get warm.
- It does not come with an option for adding an external mic. Whether it’s a drawback or not, depends upon your preference.
Considering the price, the features and the quality of the videos recorded, this camera is definitely a buy for those who are looking for a good quality sports video camera with a lower price tag.
Yi 4k Action Sports Camera
The Yi 4K Action camera is a budget 4k action camera that features among the top action cameras under 200. It has been very successful and is still one of the best selling action cameras on Amazon. Hence we have included it in our list here.
The Yi 4k Action Camera is an extreme sports specialist camcorder with a 150° wide-angle lens. This is a relatively new launch in the market, yet already has earned the coveted Amazon’s Choice badge. It is a very sturdy camcorder with excellent video quality and a lot of essential features.
Let’s have a look at some of these features:
Features of the Yi 4k
Long Battery Life
One of the most important aspects to look at while buying an action camera is the battery life it offers. Usually, batteries of action cameras with a resolution of 1080p and above tend to drain fast. If you’re not prepared with an extra set, you can be left in the lurch.
The Yi 4k Action Camcorder has a lithium battery that enables you to shoot videos and take images upto 120 minutes. This is in 1080p/60 fps. Keep in mind that if you shoot in 4K mode, the battery might not last that long.
Best In Class WiFi
WiFi capability in the sports camcorders these days is much more than a luxury. With convenience taking priority in our lives, the availability of WiFi in the action camera makes it very easy to perform some mundane editing tasks.
It has a dual-band Wifi – 2.4G/5G. It allows you to download your photos or videos to your smartphones at speeds up to 50 Mbps. This also allows you to use your smartphone as a remote to operate the camera up to a distance of 330 feet away.
Professional and High Quality Video Recording
The Yi 4k action camera comes with a Sony IMX206 image sensor which is responsible for the high-quality images and videos. An image sensor can be considered as the CPU of the action camera. For a better understanding of the analogy, an image sensor in a digital video camera is like a film in an analog video camera.
You have the option of recording you in 4K/20fps, 1080p/30fps, 1080p/60fps and take images with a 16MP camera.
6-Layer Ultra-Wide Angle Glass Lens
150° wide-angle lens with an f2.8 aperture helps you take bright and clear images and videos. The lens comes with a 6 layer of coating to reduce the glare that can happen in bright light.
There’s also the option of choosing your own parameters for the videos thanks to the self-defined image quality parameters. This helps you to change the settings based on the light available as well as select any of the 9 modes which include burst, time-lapse to record even better videos. For low light, there is a switchable auto low light setting in the menu. (The previous version had a non-switchable auto low light setting which meant it would turn on low light mode and be that way when it sensed a drop in brightness)
2 inch LCD screen with Corning Gorilla Glass
I was impressed with the 2 inch LCD display screen which has a Corning Gorilla glass protection. The display scores high on UI – you can easily navigate through the different modes and have a great preview and playback experience. The Gorilla glass protection protects the screen from scratches and minor impact.
Of course, if you throw it on the floor deliberately, the impact would be too much (Who does that anyway?!) But for daily use, you can be least worried about damage to the screen.
- It goes without saying, the price. At this price, you won’t get many action cameras that are so reliable and having such features.
- After-sales support and service are pretty good. Some of the improvements in the functionalities of the newer models have been carried out on direct suggestions made by customers.
- Easy to use interface with long battery life.
- One of its cons is something I found hard to believe. It does not have a waterproof case included with the camera. Although you can buy it from Amazon as a separate item.
- It does not have an input for an external mic.
- The audio quality at the time of recording was not up to my expectations. It could have been better.
This sports video camera will exceed your expectations. If you are looking for a durable yet affordable camcorder for sports, go for the Yi Action Camera. You won’t regret it!
Check current price and more information and customer reviews.