Have you been using a lower-end video camera, and now you are ready to step it up a level and get a better camcorder for your movie making but still don’t want to spend a fortune? There are many good quality DSLR cameras for video that cost less than $1,000, and they offer all of the features you need to be extremely creative with your movies. You can use these cameras for videos as well as still photos, and both will be of the highest quality. It is always best to shop around, and we are going to get you started with five of our best DSLR cameras for videos and photos.
Table of Contents
If you are looking for a camera that has a high resolution for crisp, clear videos and photos, the Canon EOS Rebel T7i is definitely an option to consider. When you get the Creator Kit, you will have everything you need to create amazing videos without having to purchase anything extra. This camera has a high resolution, 24.2 MP CMOS (APS-C) sensor, so your videos and photos will be stunningly clear.
Features of Canon EOS T7i
This camera is loaded with features that we think you will love. For starters, the advanced scene analysis system will automatically adjust your camera settings for all types of photos, including sports, portraits, and landscapes, even in low light situations. Some of the best features include:
WiFi This camera has built-in Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communication), so you can share photos and movies quickly and easily, from any location. There is no need to download anything to your computer. NFC will pair the camera with compatible Android devices.
Image Processor The DIGIC 7 chip can handle 14 times as much information as its predecessor, which is going to help you achieve great photos with little to no noise, and the performance is also much better.
Display This camera has a 3.0-inch vari-angle touch-screen display that has a 1,040,000 dot resolution. You will be able to clearly see everything you are recording or photographing so you don’t miss any details.
Pros and Cons of Canon EOS T7i
- Bundle Package – When you buy the video starter camera bundle, you get everything you need to start shooting, including the camera and lens, the Rode VideoMic Go, and a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 SDHC memory card.
- Lens – This camera comes equipped with an 18-55mm lens that is the perfect lens for the beginner. It can handle wide-angle shots, so you get a lot of detail, and it will give you clear shots.
- Software – We are not crazy about the software that is used with this camera. It has several glitches, and it can be difficult to use, requiring many steps just to upload photos to Google Drive.
Another DSLR that you can get for less than $1,000, and that offers all of the functions you need to create amazing movies, is the Nikon D5600 with an 18-55mm lens kit, and it is compatible with all Nikon lenses, including telephoto lenses. It has a 24.2MP DX-Format CMOS sensor that lets you have high quality images and videos with awesome detail.
Features of Nikon D5600
This DSLR camera lets you shoot at ISO’s ranging from 100 to 25,600, so you can capture just about anything in rich detail, no matter what type of lighting conditions you are working in. The 3.2-inch swiveling touch display LCD screen lets you get creative when it comes to shooting angles. Features include:
High Speed – This camera shoots 1080p video at a high rate of speed (60p), and you can also use the time-lapse movie recording feature to add more depth and creativity to all of your video creations.
Image Processor – The EXPEED 4 image processor and three-point AF system, combined with the 24.2P CMOS sensor, ensure that you will be shooting clear, crisp photos and videos in any lighting condition.
NIKKOR Lens – The lens is an 18-55mm NIKKOR lens, a standard zoom lens that lets you shoot close up and at somewhat of a distance. The lens features a pulse stepping motor that makes the autofocus quick and quiet.
Pros and Cons of Nikon D5600
- Vibration Reduction–You can easily use this as a handheld camera without worrying about a lot of camera shake because there is a vibration reduction feature that helps keep your images clear.
- Accessories – This camera comes with two memory cards (16 and 32GB), a slave flash with bracket, a memory card wallet, a filter kit, a full size tripod, a camera case, an SD card reader/writer, a wrist grip strap, and more.
- None – With the only problem we’ve found being a sticky zipper on the camera bag, it’s pretty safe to say that this camera is a great investment if you really want to get into making your own movies.
The Canon Rebel cameras have been among the most popular with photographers and videographers for many years, and the new EOS Rebel T6i is proving to be no exception. It has a 24.2P APS-C CMOS sensor, along with a DIGIC 6 image processor, so you can be sure of getting crisp, clear images in any lighting conditions.
Features of Canon EOS T6i
Enjoy shooting video in full HD 1080p at 30 frames per second. This camera has a 19-point, cross-type autofocus feature, and Hybrid CMOS AF III, with expanded ISO to 25600. The 7560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor is another of many great features. Other features include:
LED PanelThis camera has a 1.04m-dot vari-angle touchscreen that lets you shoot at a variety of angles because it can be twisted into many different positions for easy viewing of everything you are shooting.
Two Lenses There are two lenses with this camera, the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, and 29-88 (35mm equivalent) lens with an aperture range of f/3.5 to 38, so you can zoom right in on your subjects.
Full HD Record movies in full HD 1080p, and share your creations via the built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC. This camera also features EOS scene analysis, and the lenses support the Movie Servo AF feature.
Pros and Cons of Canon EOS T6i
- Warranty – This camera comes with a one-year warranty that protects you against any problems due to manufacturing or material defects.
- Accessories – The kit includes numerous accessories, including two lenses, a cleaning kit, EOS Digital Solution software, a battery pack and battery charger, a backpack case, and much more.
- None – We can’t really find anything to complain about concerning this camera. The camera bag isn’t of the highest quality, but that has nothing to do with the camera, which we really like.
If you are looking for a compact DSLR that is easy to handle and use, the Nikon D5500 DX-format camera is one worth considering. This camera has a 24.2 MP image sensor that has a no-optical low-pass filter, so you get incredible sharpness in all of your images. You can shoot movies in full HD 1080/60p video, and there are many advanced movie features to play around with.
Features of Nikon D5500
If you are looking for a camera that will let you enjoy using creative effects without the need for expensive editing software, this could be just the camera for you. It has a variety of in-camera filters and effects, interval shooting, time lapse photography, and more. Features include:Touch ScreenThis camera has a vari-angle touch screen display that lets you capture videos while shooting at a variety of angles. You will be able to flip the screen around so you can see what you are shooting, no matter what angle you are shooting at.
Sharp Photos Shoot sharp, crisp photos, even when zoomed in all the way, and under many different lighting conditions. You will be able to capture 24.2MP photos in addition to full HD videos.
Wi-Fi This camera has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, so you can instantly share all of your photos and videos when you use a smartphone or tablet that is compatible. You don’t need to download anything in order to edit and share.
Pros and Cons of Nikon D5500
- Photos to Video – You can easily go from shooting photos to shooting videos quickly with the simple flip of a switch.
- In-Camera Editing – Retouch shots, add artistic filters, and play around with effects right on the camera.
- Stops Working – For some reason, this camera will often stop working properly after a few shots, and in order to get it working again, the battery needs to be taken out and put back in.
Here is a camera that has a bigger sensor, which means that you get better quality videos. The Sony NEX-F3K/B is a 16.1MP, mirrorless digital camera that comes with a standard 18-55mm lens. It has the same sensor that is in many of the larger Sony DSLR cameras, and 13 times as much power as a regular point and shoot camera, giving you exceptional resolution and high-quality images and videos.
Features of the Sony NEX-F3K/B Mirrorless Digital Camera
In addition to being able to capture amazingly clear still images, you can also shoot video at 1080p full HD video, at both 60i and 24p frames per second. This camera also records in the PC-friendly 1080-30 MP4 format. When you purchase the adapter that is sold separately, you can use a variety of lenses for maximum creativity.
Image SensorThis camera has a 1MP APS-C size image sensor that has 13 times the area of image sensors found in most point and shoot cameras. This is going to make all of the difference in the world in the quality of your videos and photos, taking you from amateur to professional level.
Picture EffectsEnjoy using 11 different types of picture effects with 15 variations, including HDR Painting, Soft Focus, Miniature, Retro Photo, Soft High-Key, Partial Color (green/blue/yellow/red), High Contrast Monochrome, Rich Monotone, Pop Color, Toy Camera, and Posterization.
Built-In Flash This camera has a built-in flash that you can use any time you need that extra little bit of light to capture perfect images. This is a Guide Number 6 flash that works with a high ISO sensitivity so you can shoot in any lighting conditions.
Pros and Cons of Sony NEX-F3K/B
• Sweep Panorama – This is the ideal travel camera for anyone who loves to photograph landscapes. You can capture great expanses using the Sweep Panorama mode. Simply press the shutter, and sweep vertically or horizontally.
• LCD Screen – This camera has a 3.0-inch flip-up LCD screen that makes it easy to take self-portraits. This is a 180-degree tiltable, Xtra Fine LCD screen, and there is also a three-second self-timer that lets you get into the shots.
• No View Finder – One of our biggest complaints about this camera is the fact that it doesn’t have a view finder. The LCD screen works fine, but it is hard to see in bright sunlight.
When you are ready to take your photography and moviemaking to the next level, but you aren’t ready to spend thousands of dollars, any of the above-mentioned DSLR cameras are going to be good for your next camera. They all offer a variety of features that let you capture stills and videos that are crisp and clear, and you can do a lot of in-camera editing so you don’t have to learn how to use any complicated software. These cameras make it easy to create awesome movies that you can share with friends and family, post to YouTube and social media, and much more.