Let me be frank here : the choice of your action camera purely depends upon your experience with recording action sports before and your pre-decided budget.
If you’re a beginner just like I was once, you’d want the right blend of quality as well as a low price to start with. Basically, you’d want great value for money. This is where the GoPro Hero+ stands out. It is the “entry” action camera in the GoPro series and coincidentally my first action camera too.
Features of GoPro Hero+
GoPro HERO+ is a really good choice for anyone looking for a high-quality action camera that can capture videos in unstable and dynamic conditions. To give you some idea of its features, it gives you the option of remotely controlling the camera. You can also view clips and play back, and create shareable clips. It is also compatible with Wi-Fi and is waterproof up to 40m.
Let us now deep-dive into some other features of this camera.
- Small and lightweight –This GoPro weighs only 4.3 ounces and can be easily mounted on any gear you choose or worn to capture any moment. Considering its weight, it is highly portable.
- 1080p60 or 720p60 video quality – This ensures professional video or photo quality which made the brand famous.
- QuikCapture, SuperView, and Auto Low Light – These are some of the settings available for users when it comes to editing shots and modifying them to capture the shots needed. (Check out the links for detailed explanation)
- Wi-Fi + Bluetooth compatibility – HERO+ is compatible with Wi-Fi as well as Bluetooth. This helps in connecting to the GoPro App and Smart Remote. The App would allow users to control the camera, share clips and edit clips. Users may purchase the Smart Remote, which would allow them to control multiple GoPros from a distance of 180 meters. The GoPro App and GoPro Studio software is free for users for download and the Studio would allow users to import their videos and modify it before sharing.
- Versatile photo capture – HERO+ can take 8MP photos which can be shared easily. You can also take photos in Time Lapse mode, taking photos in time intervals. Burst mode is also available if you want to take fast-paced action shots.
- QuikCapture + Highlight Tag – With just one push of a button, your GoPro can record immediately. The Highlight Tag would allow you to mark the clip for easy sharing and editing.
- Waterproof and Rugged Proof– Every GoPro is built with a rugged housing that can survive any kind of condition and it is waterproof for up to 40 meters.
Advantages of GoPro Hero+
- Versatility – It is a highly versatile camera and can work under any condition without malfunctioning. It is also secured by a rugged casing for recording in rough conditions. Its video and photo settings can be modified to catch every moment even if it is fast-paced.
- Photo/ Video Quality – GoPro Hero+ videos have a 1080p60 and a 720p60 resolution. It can take photos with 8MP quality. This ensures quality and crisp shots in any given shooting condition. The files retain this quality even when shared.
- Portability – Considering its size, it is very handy and can also be mounted to any gear and in any angle or location. It is also very light and not bulky in comparison with other cameras.
Customers indicated several cons that others should consider when it comes to purchasing the GoPro HERO+.
Some complained that the battery life of the camera is short and hence requires frequent charging when used at a stretch for a long period.
The shooting time is also very short and it cannot be viewed directly from the camera itself. Transferring video to another device is also a bit slow, considering that the file size is very big. Some even complain that its very difficult to edit GoPro videos while on a desktop program given the high RAM requirement of the software.
Saving videos on a smartphone is also difficult given the video size of each GoPro clip. Syncing the camera with the GoPro app is not very smooth and this can make the download freeze.
On the other hand, users commend HERO+ for its 1080p video quality and the audio is also commendable. Some also praised the connectivity feature for this GoPro without having to purchase external devices for connectivity.
The User Interface is also quite easy to understand, especially when using some of the features like Burst or Record. They also found the Auto Low Light feature of the camera at par with GoPro’s other products like GoPro Hero 4.
The GoPro action camera series has been a great innovation in the action camera market. These cameras are very versatile and can be used to shoot videos anywhere, anytime. If you are looking for great value for money without many complex features, GoPro Hero+ (View on Amazon) is the one for you.