Do you ever find that there are times when things happened that you wish you could have captured on video? Unfortunately, it is not always easy to carry around a camcorder, and not everyone has a cell phone with a camera.
If you just want to be able to capture photos and videos no matter where you are, you need to get yourself a pocket camcorder. These are small, portable, and lightweight video recorders that let you capture all kinds of great videos on the go, and many can even be used as drone camera or dash cameras. Today we are going to discuss five of our best pocket camcorders, so you can get an idea of what is available.
YELIN WIFI Pocket Action Camera
The YELIN 4K25fps Wi-Fi Sports Action pocket camcorder shoots in Ultra HD, IP58. This is a waterproof camcorder, so you can even use it while out in the rain or snow, or take it along when you are enjoying certain types of water sports. It records at 25 frames per second on 4K, 30 frames per second on 2.7K, and 60 frames per second on 1080p.
Features of YELIN WiFi Pocket Camcorder
• Connectivity – The built-in Wi-Fi lets you connect the camera directly to a smartphone or tablet, and the Wi-Fi is good up to 60 feet. You can take pictures and videos, and then edit and share instantly on social media.
• Lens – This camera has a 170-degree fisheye lens that lets you capture more of your surroundings. This is a great type of lens to have if you want to get creative with your videos, as it does distort the image a bit.
Pros and Cons
• Waterproof – This camera is waterproof up to 98 feet or 30 meters. It has a durable case, and can capture great underwater shots, making this the ideal vacation camera.
• Battery Life – You will get two rechargeable batteries, so you have a maximum of 180 minutes of play time, allowing you to take longer videos so you don’t have to sit around waiting for the battery to recharge.
• Tripod Mounting – This camera can only be used for handheld recording, as there is no place to mount a tripod.
Panasonic HX-DC3 Active Style Camcorder
The Panasonic HX-DC3 Active Style Pocket Video Camera is ideal for anyone who is active and wants to record their active lifestyle. This is a budget camcorder features our list of the top pocket camcorders as it is easy to use, and offers more features than your smartphone, including the sensor, which works great in low light situations. It also has a higher resolution than most smartphones, with 14.4MP.
Features of Panasonic HX-DC3 Camcorder
- Sensor – The DC3’s sensor lets you take still images that are up to 4,08 X 3,456 MP, as well as full HD video that can be shot in many different formats, including 1920 X 1080p at 60 interlaced fields or 30 frames per second.
- Voice Recorder – The audio-only voice recorder option lets you use the DC3 as a Dictaphone, but there is no way that you can switch the base frame rate to a 25 fps rate that is PAL-friendly. Since you are likely to be uploading rather than recording, this isn’t much of an issue.
Pros and Cons
- Card Slot – This camera has a full-size SD card slot, and is compatible with SDXC memory cards so you can save the footage you record.
- Optical Zoom – Enjoy shooting with a 5X optical zoom, something that many other pocket camcorders don’t feature.
- Overheating – We have noticed that after a few minutes of continuous use, this camera has a tendency to overheat a bit.
Conbrov HD009 HD Body
There may be times when you want to capture footage discreetly. The Mini Hidden Spy Camera from Conbrov has a 120-degree, super-wide angle view, and it can capture sharp images at night as well as in daylight. This is a great pocket camera to use as a nanny-cam, because it is small enough to be hidden just about anywhere and take videos.
Features of Conbrov HD009
- Night Vision – This camera is made to capture footage in any lighting condition, even in total darkness at a distance of up to 15 feet. This makes a great little security camera for your home, camper, vehicle, etc.
- Record Time – The battery lets you record for up to 150 minutes in manual mode, and up to 90 minutes if you are recording at night. You can also record while the camera is charging, which will give you even more recording time.
Pros and Cons
- Quality Images – This camera shoots videos in 1920 X 1080p HD and 1280 X 720p, and it takes crisp, clear photos up to 720P.
- Bundle Package – This bundle includes the camera, a micro USB cable, a camera clip, a 360-degree rotating bracket, a pin, a card reader, a user manual, and a 12-month warranty against any manufacturer defects.
- Small Buttons – This camera is not ideal for anyone who has large fingers, or arthritis in their fingers, as the buttons are tiny and difficult to use.
BrightTea® Mini DVR HD Pocket Camcorder
When motion is detected, the BrightTea Mini DVR 808 automatically goes into auto record mode. It can run continuously when using an external power source, and it can be used while charging. The TV output can be used with the video only function, and the camera supports audio volume control and mute to reserve battery usage.
Features of BrightTea® Mini DVR HD Pocket Camcorder
- Seamless Recording – You don’t have to worry about a reduction of video between clips, as this camera lets you enjoy seamless recording. An AVI output option is available, which uses the H.264 codec for quality recording that results in videos that are easy to watch.
- Small and Portable – This camcorder is very small and easy to take pretty much anywhere. It measures about 50mm long by 32mm wide by 13mm high, so you can easily keep it in your pocket until you are ready to start shooting. You don’t even need a driver to connect it to your computer.
Pros and Cons
- Multiple Uses – This camcorder has many different uses, including for law enforcement, school security, building security, air drones, nanny cam, and a whole lot more.
- Software – The software you need is included with your purchase, and you can also use the TXT configuration tool that is on the memory card.
- None – While this is a low-end camera, we have had no issues with it. This camera works well, and shoots video well enough to preserve your precious memories.
BOBLOV Mobius 2 Action Camera HD
If you are looking for a good, inexpensive camera to use with your drone, look no further than the BOBLOV Mobius 2 Action Camera. This is a mini sports FPV drone camera that can also be used as a dash camera. It is a DVR video recorder that shoots in 1980p HD, and offers full audio and video recording settings that are easy to use. Its small size makes it easy to use anywhere, making it the ideal drone camera, and it can even be used as a helmet camera.
Features of Boblov Mobius 2
- Compression Technology – This camera features H.265 HEVC compression technology, which gives you high quality videos, and can also save as much as 80 percent of bandwidth sources so you can shoot more footage without having to download and keep going.
- Compact – This camera is compact and lightweight. It measures just 64mm long by 36.5mm wide by 18mm high, and weighs just 45 grams. You can easily put it on a drone without weighing it down, or keep it in your pocket until you are ready to start recording.
Pros and Cons
- Power Consumption – This camera has a really low rate of power consumption. You can record more than 120 minutes in full HD 1080p at 60 frames per second, thanks to the built-in 820mah lipo-battery.
- Settings – Enjoy shooting in Video Mode 1, Video Mode 2, or Photo Mode, so you can take great videos as well as still photos. You can also customize each mode to suit your purposes.
None – This is another camera that we really like, and we have encountered no problems with it as of yet.
You don’t always need to have a huge camera setup in order to capture great videos. There are many smaller, inexpensive Pocket video cameras available that let you take great stills and videos, without taking up too much space or being too cumbersome to use easily. The cameras that we have looked at today are all small in size and easy to use, and they offer features that you won’t find on some smartphones and tablets.