Do you ever find that there are times when things happened that you wish you could have captured on video? Unfortunately, it is not always easy to carry around a camcorder, and not everyone has a cell phone with a high-quality video recording feature.
If you just want to be able to capture photos and videos no matter where you are, you need to get yourself a pocket camcorder. These are small, portable, and lightweight video recorders that let you capture all kinds of great videos on the go, and many can even be used as drone cameras or dash cameras. Today we are going to discuss five of our best pocket camcorders, so you can get an idea of what is available.
Table of Contents
The DJI Osmo Pocket Camcorder is a unique product that is designed for excellent stability as it is fixed to a 3-axis handheld gimbal stabilizer. It is a premium pocket camera-cum-camcorder and can be fixed to your smartphone for better control, viewing, and creative purposes. Along with taking stunning pictures at 12 MP with a pixel size of 1. 55 μm, it also records 4K video at 60 fps, which is a better quality of 4K video than many other 4k camcorders.
Features of DJI Osmo Pocket Camcorder
- High Stability – Because of the 3-axis gimbal stabilizer, it is possible to record smooth cinematic videos with ease irrespective of your movements.
- Creative Content Options – It has a variety of functions that make it possible to create visually appealing content like Nightshot, Pano, Story Mode, Motionlapse, ActiveTrack, and FaceTrack.
- Universal port – Can be attached to a large number of smartphones for better creativity.
Pros and Cons
- Very high stability
- Comfortable and rugged grip
- Can get a bit expensive
The YELIN 4K25fps Wi-Fi Sports Action pocket camcorder shoots in Ultra HD, IP58. This is a waterproof camcorder, so you can even use it while out in the rain or snow, or take it along when you are enjoying certain types of water sports. It records at 25 frames per second on 4K, 30 frames per second on 2.7K, and 60 frames per second on 1080p.
Features of YELIN WiFi Pocket Camcorder
• Connectivity – The built-in Wi-Fi lets you connect the camera directly to a smartphone or tablet, and the Wi-Fi is good up to 60 feet. You can take pictures and videos, and then edit and share instantly on social media.
• Lens – This camera has a 170-degree fisheye lens that lets you capture more of your surroundings. This is a great type of lens to have if you want to get creative with your videos, as it does distort the image a bit.
Pros and Cons
• Waterproof – This camera is waterproof up to 98 feet or 30 meters. It has a durable case, and can capture great underwater shots, making this the ideal vacation camera.
• Battery Life – You will get two rechargeable batteries, so you have a maximum of 180 minutes of play time, allowing you to take longer videos so you don’t have to sit around waiting for the battery to recharge.
• Tripod Mounting – This camera can only be used for handheld recording, as there is no place to mount a tripod.
When motion is detected, the BrightTea Mini DVR 808 automatically goes into auto record mode. It can run continuously when using an external power source, and it can be used while charging. The TV output can be used with the video only function, and the camera supports audio volume control and mute to reserve battery usage.
Features of BrightTea® Mini DVR HD Pocket Camcorder
- Seamless Recording – You don’t have to worry about a reduction of video between clips, as this camera lets you enjoy seamless recording. An AVI output option is available, which uses the H.264 codec for quality recording that results in videos that are easy to watch.
- Small and Portable – This camcorder is very small and easy to take pretty much anywhere. It measures about 50mm long by 32mm wide by 13mm high, so you can easily keep it in your pocket until you are ready to start shooting. You don’t even need a driver to connect it to your computer.
Pros and Cons
- Multiple Uses – This camcorder has many different uses, including for law enforcement, school security, building security, air drones, nanny cam, and a whole lot more.
- Software – The software you need is included with your purchase, and you can also use the TXT configuration tool that is on the memory card.
- None – While this is a low-end camera, we have had no issues with it. This camera works well and shoots video well enough to preserve your precious memories.
Even though this is a relatively older model, it still makes it to our list of the top 5 pocket camcorders. We may be used to all the new-age video formats; yet, its VGA format videos are still decent enough to watch. It is ideal for light use or for shooting short clips on the go. It is fairly easy to use with simple operation – with one-touch recording and digital zoom. It has the capacity to record 2 hours’ worth of VGA video in its 4 GB internal memory. Overall it is a quality product suitable for shooting informal videos on the go.
Features of the Flip Ultra Video Camera
Flipshare – Its custom, built-in software, Flipshare helps you edit the videos, take images from the video clips, email the clips as well as upload the clips to video sharing sites.
Flip-out USB – It has a flip-out USB arm that can be fitted onto a computer directly.
AAC Audio Compression – Its premier AAC audio compression is responsible for the good quality audio capability.
Pros and Cons of Flip Ultra Video Camera
- Pocket-sized and very convenient to carry.
- Easy mode of operation.
- As the video format is VGA, you won’t get the sharp picture display as observed in the high definition display.
You don’t always need to have a huge camera setup in order to capture great videos. There are many smaller, inexpensive Pocket video cameras available that let you take great stills and videos, without taking up too much space or being too cumbersome to use easily. The cameras that we have looked at today are all small in size and easy to use, and they offer features that you won’t find on some smartphones and tablets.